Skip to main content

I am grateful for six years of loving Joan Mogotu Marita

Exactly 6 years of friendship (now 7 is my favorite number plus all multiples of 7 but the timing for this just felt right 😃). On Wednesday May 13 2015, at around 2-3pm EAT, I met a girl in a green dress. The room if I recall it right was labelled Sherehe. (Could be symbolic because some version of our friendship has been an absolute paaaarrrrttttttyyyyy!!) We were attending an information session, the second step of our interview process at McKinsey & Company. 

I remember that right after the information session we walked together, crossed the road. I don’t recall what we talked about when we walked but I remember the warm excited feeling. I remember thinking about how I’d pray for her - not knowing her faith then and not knowing whether we’d get in but I prayed we’d both get in. I saw her off at her bus stop and walked on to mine.

And yes, God answered that prayer. We both got the job! It has turned out to be God’s utmost ministry of friendship.

Six wonder-filled years later, Marita and I are very very good friends. She has been one of the best quality of friends I’ve had. She has set the bar quite high on friendships I must add. Soft hearted yet strong willed, beautiful and brainy, broken yet really well kintsungi’d (yeah made up the tense for it to make sense). She’s as real as it gets - herself when it’s just the two of us and when there’s hundreds others in the room.

We have had our fair share of enjoyable firsts... First well paying job, first work travel, first solo funded vacation (to date, that trip to Malaysia is one I remember with fondness) and first time exposure to diets we never knew among many others. We’ve had our fair share of trials as with any other friendship - I think there’s a time we didn’t talk for about a month or two but when we reconciled I think I cried haha...

Marita has been so many things to me but the top that come to mind...

A prayer / spiritual partner - now we don’t ascribe to the same denominations but by God we keep each other in check. She’s been my strength when I felt I had sent up one too many prayers with way few responses from HIM. I have prayed for her too when I didn’t know what to say directly to her. We have this very strong spiritual base that every form of advise stems from and that has somehow always bound us!

A sounding board - the McKinsey thought process is a force to reckon with. Sticks with you! You can’t unlearn it but why would anyone want to anyway? We have broken down issues together. Prioritized options together. Created logical thought flows together. Called each other out on overthinking. She has been the objective one when emotional thinking got the best of me. I think this is where beautiful and brainy absolutely shines!!

A cheerleader - if there’s a friendship where success is celebrated, this would be it! No win is too small or too big! From getting a new work email to new big work gigs. She’s among the first calls I make and I share in her wins too! No day has either felt jealous of the other's achievements. Not once has either of us felt like the other is bragging / proud. It’s quite refreshing honestly. I remember there’s a time I had mentioned my plans in a circle of friends and next piece of feedback I received was I’m proud. Now this has been unheard off with Marita!!! It’s not pride, it’s just love and acceptance because we truly know the humble backgrounds we come from and so those wins have to be recognized and celebrated!!

A talk buddy - oh heavens I don’t think there’s any human I’ve talked to on phone longer than Marita! Before school, my sisters complained about how we worked together but would still talk for hours on end on phone on my ride back from work and as I settled in at home. Her being away in school just increased the talk hours. We just never run out of topics of discussion but rather run out of time. There’s laughter, there’s sniffing and running noses. There’s high excitement tones, there’s low somber tones. There’s deep reflection and there’s aimless banter. There’s panic and fear, then there’s reassurance. Marita is the kind of soul that calls to check on me even after I say I’m better and there’s no need for a call anymore.

Family - when friendships graduate to a point that families overlap, then that’s a friendship jackpot! So I hit a jackpot with this one. The family highs, lows and in-betweens have continued to test and refine our friendship. The sleepovers, hospital visits, airport pick ups and drop offs just to mention a few. The opportunity to welcome her into my family and I into hers, is one of the most special gifts I enjoy. Writing this reminds me there’s definitely more I could have done especially with Marita being in school but I’ll partially blame COVID-19 and partially get away with it. One of the highlights of my life will always be sitting at the dinner table with her mother and laughing our hearts out until I almost chocked. When my parents ask after Marita and we remember her during our family devotions, I know they care too.

Our friendship feels like God’s way of demonstrating dependability. God’s way of expressing humor. God’s way of highlighting honesty as core to friendships. God’s way of reminding me that the waiting is totally worth it and easier when you share the waiting experience with someone that gets it. It’s God’s way of cheering me on. God’s way of supporting me. God’s way of telling me I can never run out of things to discuss with HIM. God’s way of reminding me that we can always make time and room for each other. God’s way of showing how easy selfless loving is!!

I’m so glad, honored and privileged to have all that in one amazing human! I hope I have forever and a day to keep thanking God for this friendship. To keep sharing the love God bestows! Forever and a day!

Note to self and to all - Friendships arise from the most unlikely places. They shine brightest when you let each other authentically present themselves. They thrive when you correct each other in love. Some are seasonal but I pray you find your tribe like I did because then you are one wealthy human!! :)


Forever love, D

Popular posts from this blog

To God and Mama

  I was really struggling with the fact that I’ve been able to write a dedicated article to every family member except Mum. The angle is what defeated me. I know very well that we love each other in our unique silent ways. I know Mum will call very rarely and I return the favor far less times; and sometimes when I return the favor, it would be through a call I made to Dad and asked how Mum is doing then Dad would hand over his phone to Mum if they were close to each other. Our conversations are always very short and precise. To some extent when Mum calls I know it’s a serious matter. Even when Bree’s accident happened, it’s Mum that called, not Dad. The most recent call Mum made was at around 5am asking whether I was up and with a groggy morning voice my answer was not yet. She went on to say, “Amka uombe.” I didn’t hesitate and went directly to “Umeota nini?” I knew the only thing that would have pushed her to call would have been a bad dream about me. She explained her dream and I as

Oh I am grateful for a lost 9yr friendship

I had a really unorthodox weekend... my heart-on-my-sleeve kind of lifestyle landed me in deep ****. Yes, I wrote it as I thought it - real deep trouble. **** I honestly never thought I would find myself in... right now I can even smile and laugh just a bit about it because I see just how much it all feels out of character for me... oh well let's get going with the story. Disclaimer: The details of this story are only one side of it... I am sure there could be a bitter, murkier version of it to be told on the other end... I sure hope one day I get to read or hear it because I am a curious one, and it just feels like a loose end in my mind. Okay now that that's off the table, let's go. I woke up on a chilly Sunday to a rather harsh message regarding a particular post I had up on my WhatsApp status. Now at the moment I was posting it, I was wearing my super jolly extroverted self bearing memories of those really warm friendships. When I say warm friendships, I mean super plat

Rediscovering love through 29 humans

 So, as usual I’ll pen down a few birthday reflections. This time, I type away seated at a beautiful location in Guatemala. As you know from previous posts you cared to skim through, I am a thrifty traveler. The hostels in this side of the world had it in for me with the beauty they behold. I can only wonder what luxury travelers experience. The hostel name is Boatique Hotel and Marina (definitely worth coming back to). Perfectly isolated and surrounded by water. The sign post is just above my head. The sun is setting on the day I was born and my 29th lap of life begins. The way I would summarize this day right from yesterday would be rediscovering love.  There are versions of me I like keeping to myself because it makes hanging out with myself so much fun. It makes those conversations intriguing and when I tell you I got lost in my brain, I mean it because sometimes it takes a while for me to catch up with me lol. I have had quite patchy sessions of that this time. I have realized tha