Skip to main content

I'm grateful for wise friends

360 Death Quotes That Will Bring You Instant Calm
Keldine Owande is a super inspirational friend in my life. We met back in campus when we were both young, curious and adventurous. As third year students, we got even closer. We had taken up leadership roles at the Accounting Students Association. By virtue of this, we spent more time together - brainstorming what impact to leave behind as well as going to potential sponsor meetings together. We also had our fair share of disagreements, just as any normal friendship should. 

Fast forward to our adulthood life, he remains a special friend. I call him wise because there's not a moment I have been in his presence, virtually or in-person, that I haven't left with a smile and in reflection. There's so many other posts I would have started with since I am a little late to the party but I wanted to share this letter on here. When he sent it to me, he introduced it with long post alert but it's worth it haha. Now knowing how wordy I am, nothing is ever long in my eyes. So my intro to this as you read on will be, what would you write to those you love? What would you want them to remember you for / by even as your uncertain yet final days come upon you?

Enjoy and thank you Keldine for this.

The author of this letter has subsequently been revealed to be Flying Officer Vivian Rosewarne, the co-pilot of a Vickers Wellington bomber, stationed at RAF Marham, Norfolk. The 23-year-old flyer was killed during the Battle of Dunkirk in May 1940 (WW II). Rosewarne's death notice was eventually published on 23 December 1940.

Dearest Mother: Though I feel no premonition at all, events are moving rapidly and I have instructed that this letter be forwarded to you should I fail to return from one of the raids that we shall shortly be called upon to undertake. You must hope on for a month, but at the end of that time you must accept the fact that I have handed my task over to the extremely capable hands of my comrades of the Royal Air Force, as so many splendid fellows have already done.

First, it will comfort you to know that my role in this war has been of the greatest importance. Our patrols far out over the North Sea have helped to keep the trade routes clear for our convoys and supply ships, and on one occasion our information was instrumental in saving the lives of the men in a crippled lighthouse relief ship. Though it will be difficult for you, you will disappoint me if you do not at least try to accept the facts dispassionately, for I shall have done my duty to the utmost of my ability. No man can do more, and no one calling himself a man could do less.

I have always admired your amazing courage in the face of continual setbacks; in the way you have given me as good an education and background as anyone in the country: and always kept up appearances without ever losing faith in the future. My death would not mean that your struggle has been in vain. Far from it. It means that your sacrifice is as great as mine. Those who serve England must expect nothing from her; we debase ourselves if we regard our country as merely a place in which to eat and sleep.

History resounds with illustrious names who have given all; yet their sacrifice has resulted in the British Empire where there is a measure of peace, justice and freedom for all, and where a higher standard of civilization has evolved, and is still evolving, than anywhere else. But this is not only concerning our own land. Today we are faced with the greatest organized challenge to Christianity and civilization that the world has ever seen, and I count myself lucky and honoured to be the right age and fully trained to throw my full weight into the scale. For this I have to thank you. Yet there is more work for you to do. The home front will still have to stand united for years after the war is won. For all that can be said against it, I still maintain that this war is a very good thing: every individual is having the chance to give and dare all for his principle like the martyrs of old. However long the time may be, one thing can never be altered – I shall have lived and died an Englishman. Nothing else matters one jot nor can anything ever change it.

You must not grieve for me, for if you really believe in religion and all that it entails that would be hypocrisy. I have no fear of death; only a queer elation ... I would have it no other way. The universe is so vast and so ageless that the life of one man can only be justified by the measure of his sacrifice. We are sent to this world to acquire a personality and a character to take with us that can never be taken from us. Those who just eat and sleep, prosper and procreate, are no better than animals if all their lives they are at peace.

I firmly believe that evil things are sent into the world to try us; they are sent deliberately by our Creator to test our mettle because He knows what is good for us. The Bible is full of cases where the easy way out has been discarded for moral principles.

I count myself fortunate in that I have seen the whole country and known men of every calling. But with the final test of war I consider my character fully developed. Thus at my early age my earthly mission is already fulfilled and I am prepared to die with just one regret: that I could not devote myself to making your declining years more happy by being with you; but you will live in peace and freedom and I shall have directly contributed to that, so here again my life will not have been in vain.

Popular posts from this blog

Of musings in solitude

***Delayed because there was just so much to say about Lamu.  I have struggled to settle on a theme for my solo trip to Lamu. So much beauty, so much diversity that I can't find a common thread haha. Yet to me, Lamu was a soulful experience. I spent so much time reflecting such that when I caught up with my closest trio plus siblings, I kept saying "You know I really thought about that when in Lamu." or "When in Lamu, x and y dawned on me." That being said, being by myself totally unplugged social media wise was just a beautiful blessing. On solo travel ventures, I rarely have an itinerary, just an idea of what activities I want to get done in the area by the time I leave. There's no particular order or time to carry out the activities and somehow, everything always falls into place. So actually let me pen down just how the entire itinerary came together and what each moment made me think or feel. How Lamu made my heart and soul smile. Walk around Lamu town ...

Grateful for emotions...and hospitals maybe?

This will be a super short piece... I’m seated right outside the Nairobi West Hospital pharmacy, waiting for the routine consumables. It’s a good day. Her pressure was perfect today, I smiled even.  So hospitals tend to bring out all sorts of emotions, and I’ve had quite a range of them since we got here about 3hours ago. Another thing is hospitals teach you patience lol so I’ve learned to even take work calls throughout the wait. Comfortable workspace at times... :) Today, what specifically pushed me to write my thoughts was a little boy, I would guess 9/10years old. He’s seated with his mom right across my sister and I. He’s waiting for a doctor to see him. I step out for a few minutes to get water for my sister since it’s water o’clock and so I miss out on a little. When I get back, I find the boy half way through an erratic vomit session. I watch him and what comes to my heart is pain. I feel his pain and that of the mother who watches on helplessly. All I can say is I’m sorry ...

See you all real soon!

My last two months in Kenya were love filled... a rough patch here and there but altogether lovely. I just realized how much love I have through the very deep friendships built over time. And before I get into the details of the different groups in my life I would like all of you to remember me by the joy you all filled my heart with when we met, the tears of love that welled in my eyes and the laughter we shared. Most especially my Dearest sister Bree, remember me by all the funny moments on our drive to and from work. I am the most honored human being on earth to have had the opportunity to care for you and love on you. I will continue to do so. My next chapter in life has been majorly inspired by your resilience, silence stoicism and most raw emotional pain I have ever experienced. I hope my next chapter brings smiles to all our faces. So now, I literally choreographed this blog in reality. I scheduled the farewell sessions weeks ahead of time and I am glad to have met with the grou...