Skip to main content

I am grateful for the lady with a handkerchief…



It has been a long time coming...

I love her smile and the dimples on her cheeks when she smiles. I love her laugh, her joy, her hardworking spirit, her tenacity. I am truly loved by God to have been awarded the privilege of being her elder sister.

She is so low maintenance too... she does not ask for much even though I know so well that she deserves all the word can offer. She had to give up so much in our family transition to the new normal but never have I heard a complaint from her. She grieves, though silently and I wish she knew how my heart thinks of her every single day. In the still moments when I stare into the air, I think of her. In moments my pain comes to me, I think of her pain and sacrifice too.

Yo, with family, I could write on and on so I will pick little topics to keep me grounded lol…

So, to make the topic super relevant, I will cut to the chase… I call her the lady with a handkerchief because the 'thausands mirrions' times I have broken down in her presence, she has always had a handkerchief on her. Clean, maybe pressed, but crispy for sure. She is quick to cry too (we all got our fabulous Dad's sensitive genes lol), however, when I'm in tears, not a tear comes to her face. In those moments, she is the strong one. She doesn't utter a word of encouragement either. All she does is just stretch her hand, give me a hankie and once I am all padded up, she just hugs me. This is how I came to realize how powerful non-verbal cues are.

Funny thing is when people cry, I cry with them too… Somehow I take their pain upon myself and no matter how hard I try, the tears just flow. But not with my beloved Faith. She feels my pain, shares in it, just tearlessly :)

My most vivid hankie moments...

…when we were stranded at customs trying to get my sisters gel cushion cleared for tax (story for another day - short version is God really came through), she happened to be with me. Because I am a highly sensitive human, there are moments in the day that made me cry. How the person that had posed as a friend did little to help, to how mean the agent across the counter was. My emotional outlet is always tears… I wailed and groaned in the bathroom and all she did was hand me a hankie… I smiled and counted that as one wonderful blessing…

…when I felt betrayed and hurt by church goers, I couldn't hold it all in… We stopped by a filling station for gas and the tears took a life of their own. The filling station agent was too shook and he wished us a safe journey - I suppose he didn't know how a crying driver would get her family from Nairobi to Nakuru safely lol. Tears can be a vision hazard. I had dumped three wet tissues already. Just as I was reaching for a fourth one, the loving hand I have known for all 21 years she has been alive reached out with a warm clean hankie… again, I smiled and thanked God for her…

…when Church Elders and the Church pastor set up a virtual prayer meeting for my family. I was just too moved and yet again, the emotions flowed so beautifully; rolling down my cheeks as tears. They were tears of joy mixed with a little bit of pain. There is always a pack of dry tissues in my living room… I was on my third when yet again that familiar hand handed me a hankie… I tried declining it but in the end, two of us used the hankie. We, the elder sisters, used the hankie and she, the youngest of us, remained wonderfully calm and smiled.

I have no idea how she always has a hankie at hand, but it comes in handy :). One beautiful lesson I draw from all this is just how GOD loves us. All GOD wants is to wipe away our tears. HE is moved by our pain, sometimes even weeps with us but HIS act of love is just stretching out a loving hand with a hankie in it. Not so we could stop crying, but so we could soak all those tears in it, so we could share all the pain we feel with HIM. God has loved me too much, overwhelmingly even, through my sister. Every time that hankie comes through, I feel GOD.

Darling Faith, I see and feel God in you. Thank you for passing on HIS love message to me. I love you impossibly much.

Popular posts from this blog

To God and Mama

  I was really struggling with the fact that I’ve been able to write a dedicated article to every family member except Mum. The angle is what defeated me. I know very well that we love each other in our unique silent ways. I know Mum will call very rarely and I return the favor far less times; and sometimes when I return the favor, it would be through a call I made to Dad and asked how Mum is doing then Dad would hand over his phone to Mum if they were close to each other. Our conversations are always very short and precise. To some extent when Mum calls I know it’s a serious matter. Even when Bree’s accident happened, it’s Mum that called, not Dad. The most recent call Mum made was at around 5am asking whether I was up and with a groggy morning voice my answer was not yet. She went on to say, “Amka uombe.” I didn’t hesitate and went directly to “Umeota nini?” I knew the only thing that would have pushed her to call would have been a bad dream about me. She explained her dream and I as

Oh I am grateful for a lost 9yr friendship

I had a really unorthodox weekend... my heart-on-my-sleeve kind of lifestyle landed me in deep ****. Yes, I wrote it as I thought it - real deep trouble. **** I honestly never thought I would find myself in... right now I can even smile and laugh just a bit about it because I see just how much it all feels out of character for me... oh well let's get going with the story. Disclaimer: The details of this story are only one side of it... I am sure there could be a bitter, murkier version of it to be told on the other end... I sure hope one day I get to read or hear it because I am a curious one, and it just feels like a loose end in my mind. Okay now that that's off the table, let's go. I woke up on a chilly Sunday to a rather harsh message regarding a particular post I had up on my WhatsApp status. Now at the moment I was posting it, I was wearing my super jolly extroverted self bearing memories of those really warm friendships. When I say warm friendships, I mean super plat

Grateful for Neighbor Friend 4 :)

I know it's been a while - there definitely were moments worth writing about but were overtaken by events and a busy schedule so when in a backdating mood, I will get to them. Fresh from the mental works and reflections... Today’s lesson: You never know the friend you’re missing out on if you don’t dare to start the conversation.  And here goes the story: So, there was a power cut in my area and needed to juice my devices up for afternoon/evening calls. I called up a few neighbor friends so I could refill at their homes in case they had power: Neighbor Friend 1: In the same boat hahaha Neighbor Friend 2: Didn't pick up even after three tries Neighbor Friend 3: Not home  One call was left to make but I was nervous. I would call this stereotyping and I'm totally against the negative versions of it but you recognize those ladies you only know from a distance yes? One thing or the other always keeps you at an arms length sort of relationship. This seemed to me as my last resort